woman pointing to white board

Roles at child protection

Child Protection work is rewarding, fulfilling, challenging and demanding, with many opportunities from Case Support Work (CPP2) to Expert Practice Leader (CPP6) roles. As a child protection practitioner, you’ll join over 2000 other qualified social welfare and behavioural professionals, passionate about social justice and the rights of children at risk.

Who are we looking for?

We’re looking for professionals who are confident and resilient. You must be empathetic and open to change when working collaboratively with families and other professionals.

While there is need for therapy-based skills, a great deal of case work involves statutory investigation, analysis and critical thinking.

What’s involved in being a Practitioner?

Child protection practitioners work for the Victorian Government to investigate the safety and wellbeing of children at risk. They receive and assess reports of alleged child abuse and neglect from the community. In more serious circumstances, practitioners may be involved in court action.

To be an effective child protection practitioner, you’ll understand that families are complex and have their own unique histories. Importantly, you will be able to build relationships with children, young people and their families.

The work is interesting, challenging, busy and fulfilling and involves therapeutic and analytical skills. Roles may at times be required to operate outside normal office hours (at night, on weekends and public holidays) with relevant overtime or time in lieu provisions applying.

What jobs are available?

There are many opportunities across various levels in Child Protection, from Case Support Worker (CPP2) roles to Expert Practice (CPP6) roles. You can access and read the position descriptions for all roles under what roles are available. Please make sure you read these and review where our offices are located.

Roles with a specific focus will also be advertised as required. You can view these by going to the Careers Victoria website and searching for ‘Child Protection.’ Various positions are available across Victoria.

Once you know which role you are interested and qualified in, you can begin your application. To apply for a position in Child Protection, you need to hold a valid driver’s licence and the right qualification. You can view the list of eligible qualifications on our qualifications and requirements page.

Make sure that you have an up-to-date resume and academic transcripts ready to upload.

Regional employees may be required to participate in an on-call roster.

The Department of Families, Fairness and Housing is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing the number of Aboriginal people employed with the department. In particular, our focus is on increasing the number of Aboriginal child protection practitioners.

Information sessions

Join us at one of our online career information sessions where you will hear from leading child protection practitioners about contemporary practice and their experience working in the Victorian child protection service.

Make the move to Regional Victoria

Are you considering work as a child protection practitioner in rural Victoria?

Recent innovations to the child protection program in Victoria have significantly evolved the practitioner experience. You can benefit from these changes and take your social work, psychology or welfare-related career to the next level.

To find out more visit Make the move to Regional Victoria.