Kid asking a question

Frequently asked questions

Need more information?

Careers in child protection can range from case practice support workers through to expert practice leaders.

Case Practice Support Workers (CPP2)

You’ll work within a team to provide a range of case support tasks for clients within the child protection program. These tasks include, but are not limited to:

  • supervising access visits between children and their families where there are safety or risk issues present
  • transporting children to services
  • providing in home support to families

Beginning Practice (CPP3)

You’re commencing developing and/or building your practical experience in child protection. You can demonstrate this capability in your work in some settings and situations.

Advanced Practice (CPP4)

You’ll have significant practical child protection-related experience. You’ll also be able to support, advise and guide other colleagues on the application of this capability in their work.

Leading Practice (CPP5)

You’re developing a reputation as an expert in the child protection profession. You’ll actively coach colleagues in the application, theory and practice relating to this capability and lead both colleagues and clients.

Roles include team manager, practice leader, senior child protection practitioner and senior child protection practitioner (Court Officer).

Expert Practice (CPP6)

You’ll have significant and deep experience and be recognised around the state as an expert in applying this capability with both colleagues and external stakeholders. You will strategically plan for how colleagues and staff can continue to develop in this area and successfully operationalise these plans.

Roles include principal practitioner and child protection operations manager.

To be a child protection practitioner, you need a current and valid driver’s licence and one of the following:

  1. A recognised social work degree or a similar welfare or behavioural-related degree that includes:
  • a primary focus on child development, human behaviour, family dynamics and/or impacts of trauma;
  • and, preferably, a practical component such as counselling or case work practice


  1. A recognised Diploma of Community Services Work, or similar qualification that is studied over a minimum of two academic years full-time (or part time equivalent) and includes:
  • a primary focus on child development, human behaviour, family dynamics and/or impacts of trauma
  • supervised fieldwork placements (ideally completed within the child and family welfare sector) and at least one unit of study in case management, case work practice or counselling.

To be an advanced child protection practitioner, you will need a minimum of two years case work experience in child and family welfare services.

To be in a leading or expert practitioner role, you will require extensive experience in a related role or within Child Protection.

For further information, please visit Qualifications and requirements.

Working with Children Check (WWCC)

All applicants for child protection roles are required to apply and pay for a Victorian Working with Children Check (WWCC) or produce a current WWCC card before receiving a job offer. A receipt of payment for application or an actual WWCC card is required as evidence.

For more information on the WWCC, please visit Working with children or call the confidential information line on 1300 652 879.

You need to have completed your qualifications to apply for a position as a child protection practitioner (CPP3).

If you haven't completed an approved recognised diploma-level qualification, you may be required to seek eligibility for membership with the approved accrediting body such as the ACWA.

Child protection offices are situated across Victoria, in both regional and metropolitan areas. When applying, you’ll be asked to identify your office location of choice. Office locations are as follows:

North Division

Loddon Mallee Area

  • Bendigo
  • Swan Hill
  • Mildura

Hume, Moreland and North Eastern Melbourne Areas

  • Preston

South Division

Inner and Outer Gippsland Areas

  • Bairnsdale
  • Leongatha
  • Morwell
  • Sale
  • Warragul

Southern Melbourne and Bayside Peninsula Areas

  • Cheltenham
  • Dandenong
  • Frankston

East Division

Goulburn, Ovens and Murray Areas

  • Wangaratta
  • Wodonga
  • Seymour
  • Shepparton

Inner and Outer Eastern Melbourne Areas

  • Box Hill

West Division

Wimmera South West Area

  • Hamilton
  • Horsham
  • Portland
  • Warrnambool

Central Highlands Area

  • Ballarat

Barwon Area

  • Colac
  • Geelong

Brimbank, Melton and Western Melbourne Areas

  • Footscray

Please refer to the position descriptions for salaries.

Roles may at times be required to operate outside normal office hours (at night, on weekends and public holidays) with relevant overtime or time in lieu provisions applying.

The Department of Families, Fairness and Housing (DFFH) has a dedicated Aboriginal Employment Team to support Aboriginal staff and provide a range of other benefits. An Aboriginal Staff Support Network is unique to DFFH and provides Aboriginal employees an environment to share their experiences, support for each other, participate in professional development and contribute to the policy and services of DFFH.

If you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander applicant and require advice and support with the recruitment process, please contact our Diversity Unit on

We are looking for experienced Advanced and Senior Child Protection Practitioners to come and live in Victoria and be part of an integrated workforce committed to improving the lives of vulnerable children and their families. We want people who can work collaboratively to achieve positive outcomes – people who are committed to working with children, young people and families.

Victoria’s child protection service recognises you bring skills and attributes that will strengthen our workforce.

From overseas and currently in or outside Australia

Due to COVID- 19, the Department of Families Fairness and Housing has temporarily suspended offers of sponsorship under the Temporary Skill Shortage (subclass 482).